Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ghana!

Sooooooo, I finally took my first vacation out of country! 5 of us decided we needed a little beach vacation because hot season is just too hot. And what a shocker ghana was! So I knew that mali was the 3rd poorest country in the world, but never really understood just how underdeveloped it was (although i do have to say being in ghana has made me miss mali!). The cars, the clothes, the technology, the infrastructure, all of it was glaringly more developed. I suppose being on the coast and being a former british colony all play into ghana's development.

Annnyway, so we went to the beach, which was amazing to swim again and relax on the sand. Then we visited 2 old slave castles in Cape Coast and Elmina, both tours were done extremely well. We got to see the old slave dungeons and the living quarters of the soldiers and such. The castles themselves are beautiful, white stone and marble. And then we headed to Accra and I did a lot of shopping at the market there. hahaha. Tons of fabric, western clothes, shoes, you know, i cant escape my love of shopping.

The trip was fantastic. BUT i do have to say, I love mali and was itching to get home! I definately missed my friends and family in village, and really malians in general. I found that while ghanians were friendly and helpful, malians are so so helpful and amazing, go out of their way to help people, and really treat you like family. Ok, my mali is amazing rant is over. hahaha. I hope all is well in america!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love that you went to ghana to cool down. holy moly.

the us is lovely, albeit humid today. i only know this because i just stuck my head out the window. i have a stomach bug or something and have spent the past 48 hours in my apartment watching/sleeping through 30 rock and sex and the city. i know, very eventful. i'm hoping to emerge this evening at long long last.

MISS you!!!!!