Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I've emerged...

Hahaha. Soooo sorry for the long absence, I've been without prolonged internet use for quite some time now, but we're back in action for a little. So, let's see, what have I been doing for the last 3 months? Hahaha. Well, I've been working on the previous volunteer's project, which now that the ball is re-rolling, is going excellently. Its a project to improve the water sanitation, I think i've explained it before. So far, we've re-cemented 3 pumps and a solar powered robinet, built walls around 3 pumps, built 2 clothes washing stations, built over 60 personal septic system-like things called soak pits for the outhouses, 3 large soak pits for the big pumps, and are in the process of building a wall around the robinet to keep cows out. And repaired several of the pumps in town that were broken. I basically act as the money holder and the legistics person. And i help with engineering and buying of supplies. Its been keeping me really busy and has presented a whole bunch of other project ideas that the town wants. So since rainy season begins in may, I am going to write up proposals for projects and funding and then we can begin after rainy season ends in august/september.

Also, on the health work front, I am helping with a malnutrition program launched by USAID to help mothers learn better nutrition for their children and to improve pregnant woman's health. I help weigh babies and write down their information to track growth. And the matron does an animation and we show them how to improve the nutrition of certain meals by adding in things like fruit, baobab leaves, moringa, bean powder, stuff like that. So thats every other friday.

As for social life, things are good in village! I feel like i have a hold on Bambara, which definately has helped me form friendships that are real instead of just talking about the weather. And malians are definately some hilarious, ridiculous people who have a dirty dirty sense of humor. hahaha. During the day when I'm not overseeing part of the project, I usually spend hanging out with people. I mostly go to the moto-repair garage that one of my best friends in village owns. Most of my friends who are not working at the moment go there to hang out, talk, drink tea, you know. And I still go to the health centers most mornings to hang out and talk to people.

Nothing really big has happened. March 8th was international women's day, which was a blast! One of my peace corps friends came and we had outfits made out of women's day fabric. The kids at the school put on a theater show, and there was a women's and men's soccer game. After there was a dance. It was altogether an excellent day.

And recently there was a large soccer tournament in my commune. 16 teams competed and my town made it to the finale, which sadly we lost. But the whole thing was great. Everyone would get all dressed up and go out and cheer. And they all get really into soccer so the fact that we made it to the finals was a big deal. They got money for 2nd place and bought new uniforms, which everyone was estatic about. hahaha.

Oh and my mom sent me an easter package with easter eggs and candy in it. So i put candy in the eggs and had the kids in my family do an easter egg hunt, which they loved. And i loved even more.

Ok, i will try to think of more updates and post. Plus my parents just sent a new camera, seeing as how mine broke, so i will have pictures!!!

No comments: