Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving!!

Sooo, I hope everyone's thanksgivings were good! It was weird to be in the African heat! It was my first thanksgiving without cold weather! But anyway, about 40 people came out to Sikasso and we cooked a giant meal! Complete with turkey, stuffing, eggplant, green beans, garlic mashed potatoes, yams, cranberry sauce (from a can, my favorite), pumpkin pie and apple pie! It was really amazing, especially after eating village food for so long! And the next night we did a mexican night with tortillas and such. On saturday a couple of my friends and I biked out to these caves that are about 15 km outside sikasso. We climbed up to the top of the rock formations, which made for an ammmmmmazing view. It was really gorgeous. And good to bike after two huge meals!!

Everyone is gearing up for Tabaski, which is THE big holiday for muslims here. Surprisingly though, mali is much less conservative than I originally thought it would be, its much like America in its religiosity. Anyway, i digress, so Tabaski is on december 8th or 9th depending on the moon, and everyone sacrifices sheep and eats a ton of meat, and dances and stays up all night for 3 days. I have 2 malian complets to wear, which the people in my town will love because they are obsessed with when I dress malian. hahaha. And i'm buying some chickens for my family to kill too. Its going to be an intense three days, but I'm excited. And then after that my friend gemma is going to come out to my site for a couple of days. I went to her site last week, and it was really fun to see someone else's village. Plus its fun when people visit because you can joke around a lot more and feed off of each other.

Anyway, those are all my updates for now. I heard hillary is going to be secretary of state, go her, love the girl. And that plaxico burress shot himself in the thigh, really? Reallly plaxico? I thought mrs. plaxico taught you better than that.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hey heyyyy

Greetings from the Dirty Jerz (I'm at the shore for the weekend). We came down here after Thanksgiving which was fantabulous, and complete with Charlie Brown watching, turkey dancing, and me acting like a 4 year old at the Macy's Parade!!

Sounds like you had an awesome thanksgiving as well!! I'm impressed by how normal your dinner sounded. I thought it would end up being more grain-intensive, but I'm glad to hear that you got to have a traditional (if warm) thanksgiving.

Anyhoooo I'm off to Costco!!

(I can't wait to see your new year's dress!!)

Em

Unknown said...

Hey toubab...

So I'm searching for PCVs in Mali to answer some questions I have about traveling around there. I'm planning a rather ambitious West African trip next summer, and I'd love to solicit your advice. I'm willing to bribe you with mailed shampoo. Would you mind me sounding you out via email? Thanks!

Blair
RPCV Cameroon, 2005-2007

Unknown said...

Ok kira its been wayyyyy too long. Time for another post!!

HAPPY CHANUKAH btw =)

ken kirsh said...

Merry Christmas, Kira. I'm sure it's not snowing but I'm not sure how you might be celebrating.

See if you can meet Mah Soumano, she's supposed to be a great singer from Mali.

Hope you are enjoying the warm winter.

altizerc said...

Hey and Happy New Year from the Altizers! Tabaski sounds like a blast. It sounds like you're working really hard.
I see you're up on the news that's fit to print - and then the rest of it... BTW I hear Plaxico's gun was actually one he borrowed from him mom.
Altizers

Kira in Mali said...

Hey blair - I would love to answer questions, definately email me! kirawhiteley@gmail.com