Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!

Happy Election day everybody!! Its been a while since my last post, internet access isn't always the easiest around here. So I'm in Bamako for the election, a bunch of peace corps volunteers came in to watch the tv and fight over politics. Hahaha. The Malians are all very excited too, although most of them are already calling Barack our new President. The election will be happening late over here, especially since daylight savings started so we're 5 hours ahead now, but I think its worth the wait. haha. I didn't get to vote, sadly, because somebody (called the state of NJ) failed to send out my absentee ballot. Next election...

Life around here has been pretty, well, hot... Its mini hot season, fun fun. But the nights are getting cooler and soon apparently the days will be cool enough to wear long sleeves. I hear it snowed on my birthday in NJ!! I'm jealous. Speaking of my birthday, it was a lot of fun! My friends made me banana bread pudding and sang for me. And I got ice cream, which was definately a treat. So overall, it was a good 23. I got some cards from my parents, and my sis, good work tanns. And travis finally emailed me, little punk.

I've gotten some good updates about the record of the Giants. I always knew eli would pull through for me. I'm sure we'll do something for the super bowl, so Eli better keep up this record.

Right now i'm gearing up to finish the project that the guy before me started. The money is coming through, and I have a plan of action for all the supplies I have to buy. So that will keep me busy through January. And then we have in service training for basically the entire month of January, which will be a long break from site. My language is going really well, I can actually participate in most conversations! And of course, there is french, which I speak a lottttt. Most of my friends are people who speak french because I can have legit conversations with them. But, I'm getting pretty good at figuring out Bambara, its a fairly easy language to learn, which is nice, since most of the gossip around the town is spoken in bambara. And we all know how much I love the gossip. hahaha. Just kiddddinggg.

And for a little story. The other day my host family came home with a lizard, that I swear was the size of a komodo dragon. And they thought it was hilarious that I was scared of it, so they pretended to have it walk towards me and bite me. haha. After we tossed it on a fire and ate it. I have to say, it was actually quite delicious. Ok that is all for now. Hope everyone is voting!!!

2 comments:

dansx6 said...

You had lizard too? That's what your mother made for dinner last week also!!!

Unknown said...

Kira!! Ok so I am massively late in writing on this post, but I did get to g-chat with you pre elections, so I think I'm forgiven...

Not too much is new here, work is going really well. Its so exciting getting to watch Obama start to select his team for the White House! I feel like when Bush went through this 8 years ago, I (a) hated his guts and didnt care and (b) didnt really understand all of the players and positions. Now its awesome.

Today, Obama's people came out saying that Hillary's going to be offered Secretary of State!!!! I was so excited when I heard this morning that I got all choked up haha. Nothing's official yet though, we're still waiting to hear if its definite and if she wants the job or not.

The other big news thing going on is the talks about bailing out the Auto industry (GM , Ford, etc). A lot of people dont want it, because obviously we cant keep on bailing out companies on our dime, but at the same time, the US auto industry employs like 1/10th of America or something RIDICULOUS like that. Oy.

Ok, thats it for me for now, I hope all is well, I MISS YOU!